In Ethiopia we are saving lives by teaching basic skills like handwashing
Access to safe water; crucial to health, dignity & development.
Accessibility |Cleanliness |Education
Providing adequate water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services is a key public health challenge in today’s world. Access to safe and sufficient water and improved sanitation as well as maintaining good hygiene is crucial to human health, well-being, dignity and development.
All over the world, water remains a dangerous commodity to those who can’t access it safely:
- 783 million people lack access to safe drinking water and 2.5 billion are without even basic sanitation facilities
- Around 315,000 children under-five die every year from diarrheal diseases caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation. That's almost 900 children per day, or one child every two minutes
- Unsafe drinking water, inadequate availability of water for hygiene, and lack of access to sanitation together contribute to about 88% of deaths from diarrheal diseases
International Medical Corps works to provide these most basic human needs no matter how challenging the conditions. With hundreds of thousands of deaths each year caused by unsafe drinking water, poor sanitation and insufficient hygiene practices, International Medical Corps prioritises the prevention of WASH-related diseases as part of our comprehensive approach to health interventions. In doing this we focus on the following key areas:
- The provision and improvement of reliable, safe and clean water access
- The provision and improvement of sanitation
- The promotion of safe hygiene practices
International Medical Corps implements WASH projects across a range of settings including communities, refugee camps, schools and health facilities. We work throughout the disaster cycle, during the initial emergency relief, through the recovery phase and into development, responding to natural disasters, disease outbreaks such as cholera and Ebola, mass population movement as a result of conflict and other complex emergencies.
Throughout all of our programs, we actively engage communities and relevant authorities in the development and implementation of sustainable WASH interventions.
Explore Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
Our Work and Impact
Join Our Movement
We can only be there to help others because our supporters are there for us. Be one of them.